- Originally constructed in 1911, the Lamberton Conservatory was named in honor of Alexander B. Lamberton who was the President of the Parks Board from 1902 to 1915.
- “Original funding from the relatives of Lamberton provided for the building costs and would allow for continuous specialized exhibits of diverse plant species. Already a nationally renowned arboretum designed by Frederic Law Olmsted, Highland Park’s horticultural status was certainly heightened by its construction.”
” The 19th century was the golden age of conservatory building, primarily in England. English conservatories were the product of English love of gardening and new technology in glass and heating technology. Many of the magnificent public conservatories, built of iron and glass, are the result of this era. Kew Gardens in London is an example of a large greenhouse used for growing tender and rare plants, or, less often, for birds and rare animals – sometimes with the plants and animals living together. ” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatory_(greenhouse)